Saturday, January 10, 2009

Hospital tour, pt 1

I just called L&D as previously instructed to see if it was a good time to come in and tour the maternity ward. The woman who answered gave a sarcastic little laugh and I thought she was about to say, "Oh honey, we just had 15 laboring women walk in through this door. You're going to have to reschedule." That I would have understood. That would have made sense. Instead she said,

"I wouldn't come if I were you. Are you a first time mother?" I said yes.

"I understand that you're excited to come and see where you'll be delivering the baby, but... honestly, what if you got into a car accident on the drive over here. Speaking as a mother, I can tell you that it wouldn't be worth it just for a hospital tour." I replied with a moment of stunned silence. She continued.

"In this weather? It's just not worth it." I looked out the window. There was a very light dusting of snow on the ground. The roads were completely clear. I told her that I was about a half an hour away and the roads here were just fine. Are they much worse in Norristown?

"I'm just saying I wouldn't drive in this weather if I didn't have to... for the sake of my baby. I'm not telling you not to come, but I wouldn't. Of course you can still come, but... I just don't think it would be worth it. With weather like this? Some nutball [yes, she said nutball] could hit you out of nowhere. I'm not saying you're a bad driver, I'm saying the nutballs out there... you just never know. And it wouldn't be worth it. Not for a hospital tour." I thanked her and said goodbye.


Of course I'm still going. There is no snow on the road. The sun is out and the snow is melting. What does she think people do in Wisconsin and Ontario and the North Pole? This is not bad weather at all. I'm not going to let any nutball keep me from taking my hospital tour. Especially not any nutball on the phone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ask her "What is your job title? Receptionist or weatherman?" I would have and hoped that she cried.

Anonymous said...

you should have gathered many different types of nuts, formed them into a ball using...something, handed it to her, and said "Girrrlll i was walkin in the door when this thang done hit me in da heeeaaddd".

njicki said...

I laughed way too long and hard at that.