Before Mike and Bumble I lived with two good friends, one of whom was a particularly good cook. We ate dinners together regularly in our cozy dining nook. One evening we were enjoying a very lovely dinner when we noticed a squirrel staring in at us from the window. He was perched on the seat of my roommate's bicycle on the back porch, and he was the scrawniest, hungriest looking squirrel. He had his tiny paws up to chest like he was begging for his belly was sore empty. It was absolutely impossible to enjoy our food while the hungriest squirrel was watching us. Eventually we had to close the shade. (Don't give me that look-- there was plenty of food available in Nature and the neighbors' trash cans and bird feeders for that squirrel and besides, when I left him a pile of seeds later he did not even touch them!)
Anyway, when Mike and I eat dinner now and sit the Bumble in her high chair, I get that same feeling of guilt and discomfort as I did the night of the hungriest squirrel. Bumble looks at us eating and pretends to also chew. Why are her eyes so big? She is too young for solid foods, so she can't have them! The AAP says so! Still, it is very tempting to give in to her little pleading face and let her have just a taste... so far, I have resisted the urge.
As a compromise we've been giving her milk slushies, which she adores, and putting ice cubes in her mesh feeder. It's keeping her happy and satisfied for now. Hopefully it will continue to work for another month until she gets her first taste of people food.

As you can see, she is hardly wasting away.
4 comments:
Oh... I can hardly imagine what it must be like to live with the Hungriest Squirrel! As I recall, he also rejected stale hot dog buns, so don't bother giving Nora any of those.
What is a "mesh feeder?"
It's this thing: http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fresh-Food-Feeder-Pack/dp/B000GK5XY2
They haven't been around long enough to earn a cute name, I guess. We've only put ice in hers so far, but she loves it.
The mesh feeder is awesome. When she has earned her right to eat regular food you should put frozen fruit in them. It will soothe her teething gummies and the sweet fruit sensations will tingle her little taste buds! Why is she so cute???
Post a Comment