This morning I took my 1 hr glucose tolerance test. This test is designed to see how well your body handles glucose (AKA sugar) and is a primary screening for gestational diabetes. It goes like this:
Step one- Don't eat carbs or anything else but especially carbs for about 12 hours. (I think this only applies if you take the test first thing in the morning.)
Step two- Eat high-protein food two hours prior to the test. (I had eggs!) Don't forget to not eat carbs. Don't eat them. Don't have sugar in your tea, don't have toast, don't you dare drink orange juice, and don't even think about cereal. No carbs.
Step three- Drink some GluCola, in the flavor of your choice. Lemon-lime or Orange! I chose orange cause I heard lots of ladies say that Orange GluCola tastes like flat orange soda, which I think is delicious. Now that I have had Orange GluCola, however, I think those ladies don't drink enough flat orange soda. GluCola tasted to me like orange Dayquil without the alcohol or tingly menthol. Maybe it was more like McDonald's "orange drink". It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I hear that some GluColas are actually carbonated and I bet that makes it better.
Step four- Sit still for an hour. I brought a book to read, but instead I met a nice lady who is only one day more pregnant than I am! AND it turns out that she only lives a few blocks away. We decided to be friends. She is also having a girl. Yay!
Step five- Takes the bloods. My midwife took two vials of my bloods and said she would call me if there was a problem. I hope she doesn't call me because as easy as this 1 hr test was, I hear the 3 hr test is the worst.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I ran into my spanish teacher from sophomore year when I was waiting to have almost all of my blood removed from my body. She only said "oh" when I told her I was pregnant and politely avoided talking about it with me. ahhhh memories....
Awkward...
I'm happy you found a friend with her own soon to be baby girl. Your babies can be best friends.
Post a Comment