The woman who lives on the floor below me is a stay-at-home mom to a toddler and from what I have overheard from her screaming arguments with her husband, she is currently pregnant. Or else she was so mad, she really DID miscarry... Anyway, sometimes I hear her yelling over and over and over again for minutes at a time I am going to lose my effing mind. And it worries me.
Now, she seems like a legitimate crazyperson to me, but what she wasn't always? What if she used to be a normal girl who did yoga and drank chai and read poetry and went for morning jogs? What if the baby made her crazy? What if being stuck in a house all day long with a barely verbal person has driven her slowly to the brink of madness, causing her to sometimes throw furniture in fits of pent up rage and aggression, scream out loud several times a day, and even sing "Come to My Window" loudly and off-key.
Fearing this may happen to me, I ventured outside today with the specific goal of speaking to a stranger so that I could practice not being a crazy recluse (please don't tell me it's too late.) I went for a walk to the mailbox and saw only one other person. She was a mother and better yet, she was walking with her baby in the exact stroller I have been thinking of buying. A perfect opening for stranger-conversation initiative.
I smiled at her and said, "Excuse me. I was wondering, how do you like that stroller? I've been stroller-shopping recently and was interested in how that stroller holds up to these sidewalks."
And then she smiled back at me! But sadly, her reply was, "I sorry, I no speak English" in a strong Eastern-European accent.
I should look into taking a class or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment