Monday, February 2, 2009

Meal plan

Starting next month, I am going to start cooking and freezing in anticipation of being exhausted yet hungry. I want to use this month to test out some recipes and see how well they hold up in the reheating process. What are some good recipes for this?

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Burritos freeze nicely if you make them up with everything but the cold ingredients (no sour cream), then wrap them up in very tight individual parcels with saran wrap. They heat up nicely too. Once they're hot they're easy to open and put condiments on, because the tortilla is nice and soft from heating and it won't crack.

njicki said...

That's a really good idea!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Melissa Maffeo just e-mailed me this recipe and I thought of you! (This is Jenn, BTW).

"I found this recipe a couple of weeks ago and have been eating these burgers ever since! They are super healthy and super easy to make - AND freeze well so you can make them in bulk! I really, really recommend them!

Black bean Burgers (recipe from the Veganomicon)

1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup plain whole wheat bread crumbs
1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup water
1 tbs tomato paste or ketchup
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 small onion
Olive oil for cooking
whole wheat buns for eating

1. Mash the beans with a fork in a mixing bowl. Don't puree them - you want some half beans in there. Add wheat gluten, bread crumbs, chili powder, cumin, water, tomato paste, cilantro and water, but don't mix yet. Use a microplane grater to grate the garlic and onion in. (I use a cheese grater for both these).

2. Mix everything together with a fork, then use your hands to make sure everything is combined.

3. Preheat a large skillet - I use a non stick pan and lightly coat it with spray olive oil. Patty the burgers (I can get 6 out of this recipe). Cook the patties for ~5 minutes each side, gently but firmly pressing down on them with a spatula. They should be browned and firm on each side.

EJ and I eat them topped with onions, spinach and salsa. I like to double or triple this recipe and freeze what we don't eat right away. To freeze, just place some wax paper in between each patty and put them in a freezer bag. To reheat, just pop them in the toaster or oven till they're hot.

Hope you all like them! Honestly, these are some of the best black bean burgers I've ever had. Good luck!!

Melissa"

Emile said...

eggplant parm freezes nice and then all you have to do is boil water for pasta or simply microwave and put on a roll
cook the eggplant in a fry pan and then lay them out on a cookie sheet put your sauce and cheese on them and bake in the oven
when the cheese melts, let them cool and we just put them in baggies. it won't stick and you can pull out however many you need
love Dad

njicki said...

Thanks Jenn! I've never had a black bean burger.

The eggplant is perfect! Thanks Dad!