Friday, June 5, 2009

CLAW

Remember when I was pregnant and I asked the Universe to tell me something about my future child and the Universe very dutifully and deliberately sent me the message

?


It didn't really make sense to me at the time, but it sure makes sense now. It was a warning. The Universe was trying to tell me to stock up on nail files, clippers, Neosporin and baby-sized mittens because the child I was about to spawn would have the littlest, sharpest, most destructive fingernails in history. She is Bumble Scissorhands.

I give her a daily manicure. The nail file tickles her fingertips and she smiles and coos. I smooth out the rough edges and make sure I can't feel her tiny talons when I push on her fingertips. Five minutes later, though, her nose is bleeding because she scratched it and she has two new suspicious claw marks on her cheek. I pick her up to cuddle her while I dab at her nose with a wet cloth and she uses my chest like a scratching post.

I keep threatening to declaw her, but I know it's too cruel to follow through on since I've heard that babies use their claws like humans use their fingertips. I might just have to use Soft Paws until she's 2.

3 comments:

timollie said...

Alex has talons too :)
I find that I can get a closer cut that lasts longer with nail scissors - though most of the time I have to do it when he's sleeping...

njicki said...

Baby nails have no right to be that sharp. Her nails are so tiny, I feel like a big, clumsy giant compared to her and am too afraid that I will accidentally remove her fingertips if I use nail scissors or clippers. I probably deserve to be scratched because of that :)

timollie said...

The first time I used clippers I nicked him and I had a bigger meltdown than he did :)
The scissors give me a lot more precision, and now I feel like when I use just a file his nails actually get sharper somehow...
Either way, baby nails are evil :)